Saturday, May 31, 2008

Count your blessings!


When I was driving down the street, I saw this old church steeple up ahead. As I got closer and could see it better, I slowed down and just had to pull over. It was so beautiful! So very old.


The building is architecturally ornate with lovely stained glass windows.



However, time and neglect have taken it's toll on the old place. Many of the windows were broken and boarded up. The many layers of paint have cracked and peeled!



Shingles are gone and poorly repaired, and yet I stood mesmerized by it's beauty. ...

I wanted to touch it! I wanted to go inside and sit on an old wooden pew ...and whisper in my Father's ear. I wanted to tell Him how much I love Him...and thank Him for loving me first. I wanted to thank Him for sending Jesus and forgiving me of my sins... for mending my broken heart, so that I am able to forgive too. I wanted to thank Him for sending His Holy Spirit to live in me, to comfort and teach me. I wanted to tell Him how much I appreciate Him being my Shepperd and for taking care of all my needs.....when suddenly I realized ...I just had.

What are you thankful for ? Would you be willing to 'count your blessings' and share what God has done? Just click on Comment: and share your thoughts.

When we seek Him, we'll find Him, when we seek Him with all of our heart.


3 comments:

Beth said...

Well, my most obvious blessings are the two people living under my roof! With Nate get ready to leave I am always super hyper sensitive to how much he means to me. I'm thankful for him in ways I think I never would be if I didn't know what it was like to have to live without him. So, in a weird way I am thankful for that as well. I'm thankful for being reminded to appreciate what we have and not take it for granted...I'm thankful that God gives me the perspective to be happy even in "stormy" weather...I'm thankful that no matter how slowly the minutes may seem to tick by he'll be home soon...but most of all I'm thankful that even when he's gone I'm never alone, God is always there (and Carter is pretty good company too!)

lyndsay said...

I am thankful for a roof over my head, a car to drive, and food to nourish my body. I catch myself complaining about gas prices, the heat, my roots showing and other stupid things but I need to remember to be thankful for what I do have and it's alot more than most people around the world.

Anonymous said...

OH MY STARS!!!!! This has got to be the most beautiful church I have ever seen. It is such a shame that it has fallen in disrepair, but that might be the reason it is so BEAUTIFUL!!
Thanks for going there and taking these pictures.
P.S. This would be an incredible place to have wedding portraits taken. I'll keep that in mind for Nat (in about 10 years), hopefully it will still be standing.