Monday, September 20, 2010

A fresh look! A home makeover.


Three years ago we moved into a charming 1937 Tudor Cottage. It was wonderful house from the very start, full of charm and character but recently we have made a few changes. I hope you are like me and enjoy seeing old homes because today, I thought you might enjoy a little tour around the place.



So come on in the back door...you know the old saying, 'back door guest are the best'!

.....and look around. Here is the mudroom....... and a cute sign I made with rubber stamps! I love what it says! OH! What a glorious gift is Love! Fill your hearts and go! A nice thing to remember as your going out the door. Here's a peek at one of the spare bedrooms. It is very small but works nicely when needed.Here is the kitchen, sporting a new color. Benjamin Moore, linen white...just in case you need to know. And the other side. The formica is robin egg blue. And though we may replace it someday with granite, I've really enjoyed the color. Currently I've turned this old pine table and mis-matched hutch out into the room. Coach isn't a big fan of the look and looking at this picture, I'm not sure I am either. It does however, create a little nook where I can paint. What do you think?




ooops! You caught me! Pie for breakfast anyone?


As you leave the kitchen and move into the dining room you pass under this old shelf, salvaged from Brandy's www.brandywineboutique.blogspot.com/ parents house.


I I love the old clocks! I love chippy old stuff like this. It makes me happy!


Here is the dining room. I shown it before. I painted these walls 3 years ago when we first moved in, using and overhead projector.


I've really enjoyed this look. If you decide to try it, I have a few tips to pass on.





Here is a great old piece that coach bought at an auction, his first and only! Everyone wants it! My friend Dalia has lot's of great pieces like this at her store http://www.stokeschicantiques.com/ and her prices are amazing!
Framed botanicals!
The dining flows into the living, where we've turned a little extra space into a computer/reading niche. (tower, printer and a hundred wires are hiding under the skirted old table. No, we don't have floor plugs! Everything plugs into one power strip, underneath...and then very discreetly, three cords inside a fabric cord cover, quietly make their way to wall. (I abhor cords, but they are oh! so neccessary!) This is the first thing visitors see when they enter the room. The computer desk is incognito behind the sofa (oops! you can see those pesky cords, shhh!). There is a darling antique fireplace behind the two leather chairs, which we are currently not using. This room was a little tricky to set up because it is long and narrow. There is only one wall for a tv. I learned long ago, that Coach who requires very little, is a happy camper if he has a comfy chair in front of the tv! (...and that's why we are not using the fireplace, but somehow... it works!) I know it sounds tacky but behind the three old shutters is a door we've closed off. It went into a guest bedroom, which was a little awkward. The door is now concealed from both sides, which makes better use of the space and provides our guests more privacy.
Here is the side porch! It is so much fun, I wish everyone could have one. A porch adds more living space and what can I say, it's outdoors! It's a great place to drink coffee and relax. ...and when it rains.....sigh.....
The front of our house is on a boulevard which is not the best place to park. Fortunately we are on a corner lot and able to use this side entrance. What can I say? Old houses are full of charm and character. Which is a rather nice way of saying, cracks, quirks and flaws! ...just like me!



A special thanks to David who scraped, repaired, textured and painted for a month. You did an excellent job David! We can't thank you enough!

17 comments:

Cammie said...

I love the grouping of the old pictures in the spare bedroom. Are they old pictures of your family? I may have to do this on a wall in my house, I have old pictures back to my great-great-great grandparents! Thanks for the tour, I love it and I love your house too.

Roxanne said...

Cammie! Thanks for stopping by. I too, love old things and this would be a great way to display your collection of antique family photos. I just peeked at your blog. I think we like a lot of the same things! Happy Easter!

molly said...

Oh I love your home - I felt like I had met a new kindred spirit the first time I walked in it. I love all the new stuff you have done. Give me a old loved house anyday.Hey bring me your fabric anytime I am ready to make something darling for that precious little girl!!! Talk soon-

Roxanne said...

Whoohoo! Thank you so much Molly! I'm so excited! And I will be thrilled to paint you anything your heart desires! Would it be better to wait until after Easter? Big Hug!

Rochelle said...

Hi Roxanne!
Thanks for the glimpse into your tudor cottage! I love those plastered walls and little nooks..and I am in envy of that red chippy bed in your spare bedroom! I just love seeing what other people do with their places...so many great ideas come from this! :)
Looking forward to seeing more of your blog!
Rochelle

Beth said...

It all looks so clean and fresh! I love it! The only thing I don't love is the fact that you keep putting that mouth watering picture of the pie on your blog and I can't eat it...and I'm too lazy to make it (plus what kind of person would I be if I just up and made a whole pie for me, myself, and I)...so can you please stop using the pie...I'm dying here! And I just read Molly's comment...I'm assuming those are THE pants!? Get her that fabric ASAP a tiny hiny up in WA needs ruffles on her legs!!! :) Thank you thank you!!

winstonbot said...

thanks so much for sharing the pie recipe...we all need a few extra indlulgences every once in a while.
I loved seeing you and everyone at quaint old homes..it is the most inspiring group of women and just feeds my soul !!
amy b

mimi said...

Hello Roxanne,
I love looking at the tour of your home. It is filled with so many of the things I love. Both of your hutches are wonderful and the walls of your dining room are amazing!!! Thank you for sending me the email about Beth's blog. I check her blog regularly. I really enjoy her writings and I am inspired by what a wonderful wife and mother she is.
I hope you have a Blessed Easter
Mimi~

Joni said...

This makes me miss you even more. Wish I could just walk next door for a little visit...I love you!

Beth said...

hey mom, I meant to tell you when I looked at this that I thought the idea of closing off the guest room door is so smart!! Now that I think about it that was so annoying so why not just get rid of it!! Your a genious mom. Lucky for me it runs in the family :).

Terry Browder, www.saylesranch.com said...

This is the sleeper house of the neighborhood. It should be the envy of every home tour! It is perfection, and obviously the overflowing of an abundant spirit!

Jill Edwards said...

LUV your warm and inviting home.... makes me so homesick for my 1917 house in Dallas :(
The flaws, quirks and imperfections are what make these old houses such a treasure! Yours is to die for.... you are so incredibly talented! Thanks for all the inspiration.... makes me wanna start a new project right now!!

Sandy, Sisters of Season said...

Hi Roxanne, Your home is beautiful . . I love it. Like the green. Lots of personal touches which makes it such a home. Sandy:O)

Dani Shugart said...

Roxanne, I was so excited to see this posting that I had to show my husband what a wonderful job you did decorating your home. Thanks so much for sharing.

chantal johnson said...

I love your home...It reflects you. As I said before, we are "Memory-ist", not minimalist...Praise God!! Talk to you soon.

Channa, Oh its the Coachs Wife said...

Love it! I love your style!! I wish I was blogging when we lived in Athens. Our house was built in 1922 and had great charm. But its ours no longer.

aimee said...

i love home makeover 2009! love your home :) so many fanstastic ideas. so warm! i eat pie for breakfast too :) i love PIE!!!!
blessings,
aimee