Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Antique Chicago Brick. . . there is nothing quite like an old brick path!














Our newly purchased forty-one year old home, which I promptly named Magnolia House, was built in 1970. The exterior fascade is antique brick.


Old Chicago Brick, was salvaged from demolished old buildings in Chicago, Illinois. They were created during the industrial boom at the turn of the 20th century. The colors of this brick fall mainly under the red and brown family, with off-white, yellow and black occassionally mixed in.





Some have black spots found throughout while others have union-made diamond stamps.




Normally they have been exposed to natural elements for years. They contain clay gathered from the Great Lakes.






It was one of the many things that sold me on this house. I've always been fond of old brick. Back in the 60's my parents built a similar house in the Oak Cliff suburb of Dallas, Texas. My mother told us about the brick, explaining that it had once been apart of a old building which had been torn dorn. We were particulary fond of a few 'odd ball' painted bricks that apparently had once been an advertisement painted on the outside of the building.





I just love crusty, chippy old things! They add such wonderful character. I simply never tire of it! Old bricks were made all over the country. Here are a few that are from Texas.












I'm so thankful that the previous homeowner used an over abundance of old brick. She has exquisite taste and paid attention to fine details of design. We are so smitten with this place! We can't believe we live here. And though I'm still unpacking, settling in and adjusting, it's beginning to feel like home.






2 comments:

bunnytrails said...

So quaint! LOVE it!

Janice said...

I have some friends in Rosebud who are brick freaks.... They go to shows and collect brick from all over.. if you need more info, I'll hook you up with them.
Love your posts...