Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Go green! With silver!


Today, while looking through a folder of favorite ideas, I saw these photos and decided to post them again. Last fall they made a brief appearance but I thought I'd share them again. This time offering a few more details. First of all I want to say, "I did not make this", I did however study it closely and that's why I say with confidence, I could make it and so could you! You can't tell by looking at the picture but this chandelier is huge! Approximately 3'x3'. It originally was brass and wasn't sporting those cute little shades.


You've probably seen them before or had one. A lot of people have replaced them but maybe you'll get lucky and find one at a resale shop or garage sale. Moving on, the next thing to do is paint with a good metallic silver spray paint (I like the Benjamin Moore Brand) that is for metal. Spray several coats, from different angles, to make sure it's well covered. Now it's time to hang the chandelier. Don't forget the cord cover. This one was made out of linen....it's makes all the difference. Don't you think? When the light is hanging firmly in place that's when the real fun begins! Taking all sorts of odd and end tarnished silver pieces (salt and pepper shakers, all sizes of spoons and forks, punch cups, etc.), randomly with thin silver wire attach them to the fixture. Check out the fork to the far left of photo below...look how the fork tines are bent around one of the arms, and the handle was bent to form a hook. How cool is that!
There is no right or wrong! You can't put too much! Just let you're 'eye' be your guide! If you decide to make one, please promise you'll share photos.
O.K! So let the hunt begin, for all things silver and tarnished.


Ready? Set? Go!


p.s. Don't forget the shades!



5 comments:

bunnytrails said...

Oooooooooooooh, love it! The first time I saw one similar to this was at Cheryl Holmes' house. I loved it. So fun...just like YOU!

Cassi Dunnam said...

Just wanted to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY! So glad you are in my life :)

lynnette said...

Happy Birthday Sis, hope you have fun today, especially at 5:00! Love you.

Rochelle said...

Love it! Reminds me of this one:
http://lolasmommy.blogspot.com/2008/10/some-red-transferware.html
or this one:
http://lolasmommy.blogspot.com/2008/11/drum-roll-please.html
I just love chandeliers!
Have a great day!
Rochelle

Journal Swag said...

Oh my gosh! Thanks for stopping by! I am soooooooooooo glad we found each other! I love your blog (every little thing)! Hugs hugs, and blessings galore!

Sheila