Thursday, November 1, 2012

Gold Beets

PX00183_9

I’ve never been a big beet fan. On second thought, I’ve never even tasted a beet!  However, all of that changed a few days ago when I spotted these gold beets in the organic vegetables at HEB.

fall costume 2012 007

I had absolutely no intention of eating them but was instantly inspired to paint them!

 

fall costume 2012 002

 

I loved the colors and how they pop on the white background.

fall costume 2012 003

Rosy corals and the yellow greens.

fall costume 2012 004

So fresh and fall-ish.

 

 

fall costume 2012 006

 

I enjoyed painting these beets so much….

 

fall costume 2012 009

 

…that I decided to chop them up, toss with olive oil, spread in a single layer and roast at 400 for 30 minutes.

 

fall costume 2012 008

 

Wow, what a nice surprise! They were really good. The texture reminded me a little of a potato and the taste, a bit like a carrot. I liked them and will try them again soon.

 

fall costume 2012 005

Maybe this weekend, with breakfast.

Hash browned beets, anyone?

 

2 comments:

Stacey said...

Your painting turned out beautiful! Beets are so pretty..we like them pickled. :)

Stacey said...

Your painting turned out beautiful! Beets are so pretty..we like them pickled. :)