Monday, November 14, 2011

…a little art–Sunday!

IMG_3067IMG_3068IMG_3069IMG_3068



Today Carter and I spent a couple of hours down in the green house, creating Picassette


– loosely translated [trash art]. It was Carter’s first time to time to intentionally break



something. I removed the lids on six very large rolling tubs and encouraged her to pick



out her favorite pieces. Whatever she liked, was hers. With great care and time she did



so. With safety goggles and an old garden tool, she broke her first dish…just like that.



I struggled with my first one, but not Carter. She took to breaking, like a duck to water.



IMG_3074IMG_3075IMG_3077



She loved all the little drawers full of beads, button, marble and shells. She also liked dip-



ping her fingers into the bucket of adhesive and slathering the mud all over her frame


and said it was like frosting a cake. Below is her beautiful creation which she did alone.


IMG_3070IMG_3076IMG_3072IMG_3071



By now the sun was heating up the greenhouse so we opened windows and got big glasses


of sweet tea. Refreshed, Carter was ready for another project and decided to make a


birds nest, too. She began gathering her treasures while her little sister Emme found a



cute blue bird with a broken tail. I tried to exchange it for and old plastic chicken but



she was having none of it and off, she toddled. Later, when Carter showed me a pretty



blue piece she found for her nest I realized it was the birds tail. We went hunted for



Emme’s blue bird and were about to give up when we discovered she had taken it



back to the house to show her mommy and daddy (who probably didn’t think it was a



good idea for a 1 and 1/2 year old to play with a broken piece of pottery). Back to the




IMG_3073



nest, Carter did a fabulous job of choosing, breaking, slathering, placing, hunting and



creating. I can hardly wait for them to dry and for her to come back so we can mix up



tile grout, cover them in thick mud and clean it all off. What a little treasure she will



have to take home and what fun memories we will share. Soon Emme will be able to


join us and we’ll all be in on the fun. Today, Carter showed me why being a grand-



mother is going to be so much fun. I’ll show and teach them all my favorite things!

2 comments:

Beth said...

Mom you are precious and the sweetest grandmother a girl could have! Thank you for taking the time to teach and spend art filled hours with Carter...she loved it (and I loved the little nap I snuck in while no one was looking!) XOXO

bunnytrails said...

Hi Roxanne! I can just see Carter's face and hear her little voice. I know she has changed a lot since I last saw her. Give her a hug for me. I found out today about Ross's fiance. I met her at the store when she was helping with the pumpkin sale. My heart is heavy for him and for her family. Love and miss you, tons! Jo Carol