Sunday, October 10, 2010

The continuing saga of, Roxanne the artist!




Here are the first 4 in a series of 12 paintings that I'm currently working on. This collection is titled Lemon Lily. I started it last Friday and had so much fun. I know it's different but I'm enjoying it. I experimenting! Which is why this all began. The purpose of this blog is to journal my life as an artist. I've always thought of myself as an artist and yet I've done very little to develop the artist within. In college, I declared my major; Health and Physical Education. Graduated. Married my Jr. High boyfriend. Taught P.E. and watched him coach High school football. We had three beautiful children and poured ourselves into family life. Love grew us up. Living life to it's fullest. Making memories to last a lifetime.

I've painted, decorated, crafted and created all along the way. I had to! I'm an artist! When our kids were in school, I begin a fifteen years of painting decorative art, commercial and resisdential, for designers. Painting on walls and ceilings was enjoyable, lucretive and rewarding. Then several years ago, something deep inside of me began to yearn for more art. A deeper commitment to paint and develop this ability thats always been there.

So 2 1/2 years ago, I started this blog to document my progress. With time on my hands and a supportive husband, I began to paint again. It has been an exciting and maddening adventure. Finding a place to paint has been a big challenge. Cleaning out the garage (thank you friends) to create a studio, only to find out it's too hot, dark and dusty! Then carving out a tiny niche in my kitchen which would prove to be to tiny and dark. A year ago, I rented a wonderful space in an old building downtown with plenty on space and light that I have used as a studio ever since. It's been a blessing to have this place. I've taught lessons to pay for it and painted more than ever! Even still, I feel as though I've just begun to scratch the surface of art.

Maybe I've said all of this to say, as an artist, I feel like a silly child. I'm all over the place. Bouncing. Noisy. Climbing, clamoring to heard, to be noticed, to be good...to be the best I can possibly be. I'm crying (of course), I cry easily and often. I'm a mess! But I'm trying. I'm determined to try! And I thank those of you who have found yourselves involved in my drama, for listening and advising week after week. Helping me to stay the course and continue to acknowledge this gnawing need to be a good painter.




Are you scared?
When my mother see's these she'll probably say, "She's just going through a bad stage". :)

Thank's for listening.

9 comments:

Linda Popple said...

I understand what you are saying! Especially when you said I have only scratched the surface. I love art and it is so much of who I am and yet I feel that there isn't enough time and energy to do all that is there. My need to improve is sometimes overwhelming and I simply get stuck. So much to say in such a small box! Just really want you to know that your art and commentary is welcome and I relate to so much of what is going on with your journey. Love your art and always look forward to seeing what is next ...... happy painting!

Lila's Journey said...

I love you, Roxy.

Anonymous said...

Roxanne....
I have to say it over and over again....But "Thank You God for Roxanne the artist!" Oh, I know that for so many as well as myself-you are reading our mail. Not one doubt in my 56 year old (young) mind You, my dear, are doing the Father's business! I hardly know you but I DO Love You and all that you bring to all of us on here! Thank You!
Thru God's Grace....
Carol Wilson

Polly Jones said...

I love what you are working on! Thank you for being vulnerable enough to show your new directions and for sharing your journey...that is never easy. You express so well the artist as child that I feel too. I think risk taking is essential to our growth as artists.

Angela Elledge said...

I love this direction and can't wait to see the completed 12; outstanding work!! I can completely relate to everything you've written. I've only been painting for a few years, painting was put on hold and then it just burst forth, right when it was time. I'm scared to experiment, thrilled that you are, perhaps I will one day, too.

Terry Browder, www.saylesranch.com said...

Roxanne: With all due respect to your mother, she would be very wrong if she said you were going through a bad stage. This is GOOD. Very good. That's what God said when he looked back at what he had created! Keep experimenting and pushing outside of your comfort zone because therein lies new discoveries and the revelation of your potential. I think that people may be getting tired of me quoting Christopher Reeve, but this just seems to be appropriate here: "So many dreams at first seem impossible,and then they seem improbable,and then, when we summon the will,they soon become inevitable." KEEP DREAMING AND PAINTING!

Fat Juicy Art said...

I discovered your blog a few weeks ago and I LOVE your art!!!After just reading your latest posting and enjoying your newest paintings all I can say is thank you - you hit on the stuff I struggle with daily and I LOVE your paintings!Keep on doin it we need you!

bunnytrails said...

Well, friend, I LOVE the new pieces you have painted. Very different from what I am accustomed to seeing from my Roxie artist, but so beautiful!!! I am so proud of you and how you keep evolving into the artist God has planned for you to be. One thing, tho, Please do not ever stop painting nests.....

T.M.Gand said...

Beautiful pieces! I especially love the one in the upper right hand corner. Very fun, even at this stage! Keep going!!